Planned action items
The plan was this week to finish off where I left reading from Wusatowski assigned by Anand. After that, get a head start on the recent publications from the lab. Also, I was supposed to make the personal presentation this week.
Achieved action items
This week was just to learn more about the hot rolling process and the different parameters involved.
- More on recrystallization and different kings
- Hot rolling and different conditions required.
- Equipment required and various conditions that these must go through
- Importance of different mechanisms such as grain growth and strain hardening
- Constant volume law and its modifications during plastic deformations
- Importance of IDEM – Integrated Design Exploration Method
- Hot rolling in context of gear manufacturing
- Importance of managing uncertainties
- PowerPoint skills
I found that this week I delved into more details of the hot rolling process. I am trying to copy down everything that I find interesting or useful in my notebook – explaining it as simply as possible and writing full sentences.
Still, I find the numbers in the papers hard to follow. Although, I have been trying to comprehend it as much as possible.
This week I had an opportunity to get creative with my presentation. I had not made a presentation since an year. Therefore, I watched a few videos on YouTube and Lynda to learn more about ways to get creative with PowerPoint and grab attention.
Table 2: Self-evaluation
Competencies that you wanted to develop and the progress in that
- Get better at deep reading a text
- Get better at reading research papers
- Better at making PowerPoints.
Lessons learned (from modeling side, based on papers read and any minute information that you found useful and new)
I found that I am a visual learner. This is why I tried to watch some videos (NPTEL) on things like recrystallization. These help to give me a visualization of what I am reading and helps me learn better.
I need to stay focused on my goal and get rid of numerous distractions.
Overall feeling (was there too much work load and any changes that you prefer)
I need to learn to understand numbers. This was the same when I was reading Anand’s paper as well, I found it hard to follow the calculations leading up to cDSP. Once Anand is done with his papers, I want to learn as much as possible about cDSP.
It was fun to present to the family. Thank you for letting me do that. I was able to reflect back on the various things I had done in the past and the great changes they have brought in me.